Which credit repair service is best for repairing your credit? We look at the pros and cons of both services to find the best credit repair for you.
With so many scam credit repair services out there, it is hard to know which one is the best credit repair company. Will they really repair your credit? Are they trustworthy enough to not mess up your relationships with your lenders? Are they going to charge you a bunch of money and only raise your credit a point or two? All are valid questions and ones that I asked myself when I was researching and reviewing the different credit repair companies. I found that there were two services that stood out above and beyond all the other credit repair services: Sky Blue Credit Repair and Lexington Law. While they both rated highly in my own research, they have a lot of unique features that make them quite different services. Which one should you use? Here’s a breakdown of what each services offers:
- Price: SkyBlue Credit Repair has one of the lowest prices among credit repair services. The Initial Fee is $59, and then it is only $59 per month after that.
- Features: Sky Blue Credit Repair is one of the best credit repair services, but it doesn’t have all the fancy bells and whistles that other credit repair services have. They do give you straightforward credit repair services, including fixing mistakes on your credit report, sending good faith letters to your lenders and looking for legal loopholes to get your credit score back to where it should be.
- Cancellation: SkyBlue’s services are month-to-month, so you can cancel at any time.
- Reputation: SkyBlue is considered one of the top credit repair services, with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and top ranking across review sites.
- Guarantee: SkyBlue is one of the only credit repair services with a full 90-day refund no matter what the reason.
- Customer Service: Users often reach out to say how helpful and nice SkyBlue’s customer service is, which is unusual for a credit repair service.
|Initial Fee||Monthly Fee||BBB Rating||Phone||STL Rating|
- Price: Lexington Law Credit Repair actually has three different tiers of service, which cost $79.95/month, $99.95/month or $119.95/month, depending on the service you choose.
- Features: The first tier of service, Concord Standard, offers the same credit repair basics that SkyBlue offers. The second tier, Concord Premier, adds a second level of credit repair assistance, as well as monthly credit monitoring and a credit score improvement analysis. The third tier, PremierPlus, adds identity fraud alerts and personal finance tools to help you monitor your finances.
- Cancellation: Lexington Law’s services are month-to-month, so you can cancel at any time.
- Reputation: Lexington Law is the only credit repair service run by actual lawyers, so its reputation is strong. It also has an A- rating from the Better Business Bureaus.
- Guarantee: Lexington Law only charges for the work it has already completed.
- Customer Service: Lexington Law has a comprehensive customer service network which can be very helpful, including phone, email and chat.
|Initial Fee||Monthly Fee||BBB Rating||Phone||STL Rating|
What Is the Best Credit Repair?
The best credit repair company will accomplish all of the following: retrieve your credit report from the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion), fix errors on your credit reports, help improve your FICO score, negotiate with your lenders to remove negative items, and take advantage of credit repair law loopholes to have negative items removed from your credit reports.
Best Credit Repair Company Overall: Sky Blue
Price: Sky Blue Credit Repair is the cheapest (trust-worthy) credit repair service that I found. Most credit repair services have a large initial fee that usually tops $100 or more, but Sky Blue’s is only $59. Even better, the monthly payment for Sky Blue Credit Repair is also only $59, and most credit repair services claim to be able to raise your score within 6 months, so you won’t be paying that indefinitely.
Features: Because of the low price, Sky Blue Credit Repair doesn’t have all the fancy bells and whistles that other credit repair services have. They don’t monitor your credit. They don’t have fancy online tools to track your progress. But they do give you straightforward credit repair services, including fixing mistakes on your credit report, sending good faith letters to your lenders and looking for legal loopholes to get your credit score back to where it should be.
Reputation: Sky Blue Credit Repair has one of the highest Better Business Bureau ratings that we saw for a credit repair service, with an “A+” score. The service is transparent in what they offer and has 20 years of experience in the credit repair industry.
Guarantee: The best part about Sky Blue Credit Repair is that is has a 100% 90-day guarantee that will give you full refund if you are not satisfied. Doesn’t matter the reason, they will give you a refund within 90 days of when you sign up if you don’t think they have done their job. That’s a pretty strong feature to offer in the world of scammy credit repair services. Sign up for Sky Blue Credit Repair here or call (888) 534-1510 to talk to a live person. (Reader tip: Call between 9-5 M-F EST.)
2nd Best Credit Repair Company: Lexington Law
Price: Lexington Law has an initial fee of $99.95, plus $10 so they can pull your credit reports. After that, it is $59.95 a month for the basic package, which includes everything that SkyBlue offers, as well as a paralegal that gives you other ways to help raise your credit score and deals with your account. There are upgrades if you want more features: the Concord package, at $79.95/month, and the Concord Premier package, which is $99.95/month.
Features: So the basic package offers what we mentioned above, but the Concord package also offers extra scrutiny when it comes to the FTC regulations that lenders must follow when reporting to the credit bureaus. If they aren’t following those regulations, Lexington Law can request that derogatory information be removed from your report. The Concord Premier package includes that, as well as monthly credit monitoring and identity theft protection.
Reputation: Lexington Law has been around longer than SkyBlue, but it only score an “A-” with the Better Business Bureau. That is still a good score, granted, but not as good as SkyBlue.
Guarantee: Lexington Law’s guarantee relates to the work that they promise to do for you, so make sure you read over your agreement before you sign anything. On the plus side, Lexington Law only charges for the work it has already completed. On the downside, it is not a 100% guarantee like Sky Blue’s. Check out Lexington Law here or call (844) 259-3376 to talk to a live person.
How does credit repair work?
Credit repair works by changing or removing items from your credit report that are dragging your credit score down. This can be done by fixing mistakes on your credit report, negotiating with lenders to remove or change negative reporting, or utilizing loopholes in credit reporting regulations and rules to have negative items removed. You can do any of these things by yourself, but most credit repair services have a better understanding of how credit repair works and how to get these things done more efficiently and effectively.
What do credit repair companies do?
First, the credit repair company will assess your credit situation by looking at your credit reports, which you generally will have to provide. Second, the credit repair company will give you a plan of action that it thinks is best to improve your credit score, whether it be fixing errors, negotiating with your lenders or contesting items that can easily be removed. Once you’ve agreed on a plan, the credit repair company will start taking action. Keep in mind, it may seem like things are moving slowly, but too many inquiries and contentions all at once can raise red flags with the credit bureaus, so it’s better to move slowly at first.
What credit repair services can I expect to see?
This really depends on your credit report. If you have a lot of errors on your report, whether they are factual errors or misreporting from your lenders, the credit repair service will prioritize fixing those errors. If you have had a solid history of credit usage in the past or have a good track record for the past few years, the credit repair service will probably try to negotiate with your lenders to get some of the negative items removed from your credit reports. If you have negative items from lenders that are traditionally unresponsive, the credit repair service may try to contest those items, since the credit bureaus only have 30 days to verify the information. If they can’t verify it, the items must be removed from your report. There are a number of ways credit repair services can attack negative items on your credit report, so it just depends on the plan of attack you decide on .
How do I know the best credit repair company for me?
This also depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more affordable credit repair company that just does the basics of credit repair, a company like Sky Blue Credit Repair is a great choice because they have the cheapest monthly price and offer great results. If price isn’t an issue and you want extras like monthly credit monitoring and identity theft protection, companies like Lexington Law and CreditRepair.com both offer those along with a great track record for credit repair. If you are worried about being scammed, both Sky Blue Credit Repair and The Credit People offer a 100% guarantee if you aren’t satisfied in any way. Sky Blue’s guarantee expires after 90 days, but The Credit People’s guarantee has no time limit.