The holidays are on our doorstep, and you know what that mean: holiday shopping time. This year, it’s time to shop smarter, which means picking your credit cards strategically based on what rewards they have to offer. Here are some tips:
- Rewards where you shop: Look for cards that give you the best rewards for purchases you are already going to make, like for online purchases or at major department stores.
- No interest until next year: Find a card that has an extended 0% intro APR period so you have plenty of time to pay off those big ticket purchases before they start charging you interest.
- Big intro bonus: Get a card with a hefty intro bonus so you have a little extra spending cash for the holidays. If you are buying a TV for $1,000, but can get a $400 bonus from your card for spending $1,000, that TV is only $600.
- Traveling for the holidays? Find a card that offers no blackout dates so you can use miles to pay for expensive holiday travel.
So which credit cards are the best at combining these rewards? Here are our picks:
Best Card with Cash Back Perks: Barclaycard CashForward™ World MasterCard®
- Get a $100 cash rewards bonus after you spend $500 in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on every purchase
- Every time you redeem, get a 5% cash rewards redemption bonus to use toward your next redemption
- Redeem your cash rewards for a deposit into your bank account, a statement credit or gift cards. Redemptions start at $50
- Cash rewards do not expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- 0% intro APR for the first 12 months on purchases. Plus, you’ll get 0% introductory APR for the first 12 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening. After that a variable APR will apply, currently 15.24%, 19.24% or 23.24%, depending on your creditworthiness
- No annual fee
Best Credit Card with Ongoing Low Interest Rate: Barclaycard® Ring MasterCard®
- No Balance Transfer Fees – start saving immediately!
- A low variable APR on balance transfers and purchases
- No Annual Fee
- Choose your card benefits and features
- Get rewarded through the new Giveback™ program, where Barclaycard Ring members get money back for good performance
- Get exclusive access to our online community and vote on the card features you like and view the financials of the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard online
- Learn more about personal finance from Barclaycard and other members
- Complimentary FICO® Credit Scores as a benefit to active cardmembers. Opt-in to have instant and convenient access to FICO® Scores from your Barclaycard online account.
Best for Average Credit: Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard®
- 2X points on gas, utility and grocery store (excluding Target® and Walmart®) purchases. 1x points on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Points don’t expire as long as account is open, active and in good standing
- Redeem points for deposits to a U.S. checking or savings account, statement credits or gift cards, starting at 1,000 points for $10
- No limit on the number of points you can earn or redeem
- Free online access to FICO® Credit Score lets you keep an eye on your credit and get alerts when we learn that your score has changed
- Use your card with confidence, $0 Fraud Liability protection means you’re not responsible for unauthorized charges you report to us
- Chip card technology, so paying for your purchases is more secure at chip-card terminals in the U.S. and abroad