Reader Question: I’m looking for a credit card with a low APR, which one is the best?
Answer: It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a low APR card because you want to do a balance transfer, you should look for a card with a long 0% intro APR, like the Barclay card below. If you are looking to transfer a balance that will take more than a year to pay off, you should get a card that has a constantly low APR, like the Ring Mastercard below. If you are just looking for a credit card with the lowest APR with the best reward, check out the Discover card below. Each offer different APRs that can be used for different reasons.
Best Overall Low APR Credit Card: Barclaycard® Ring MasterCard®
- No Balance Transfer Fees – start saving immediately!
- A low 8% variable APR on balance transfers and purchases
- No Annual Fees
- Choose your card benefits and features
- Get rewarded through the new Giveback(TM) program, where Barclaycard Ring members get money back for good performance
- Get exclusive access to our online community and vote on the card features you like and view the financials of the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard online
- Learn more about personal finance from Barclaycard and other members
- Complimentary FICO® Scores as a benefit to active cardmembers. Opt-in to have instant and convenient access to FICO® Scores from your Barclaycard online account.
Best Credit Card with Longest 0% Intro APR: Discover it® Card
- Fair. No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. Pay up to midnight ET online or by phone on your due date without a fee. Plus, paying late won’t raise your APR.*
- Generous. 5% cash back at Home Improvement Stores & More on up to $1,500 in purchases from April through June 2014 when you sign up. And 1% cash back on all other purchases.*
- Human. 100% U.S.-based customer service available any time.
- Looks out for you-since each Discover purchase is monitored. If it’s unusual, you’re alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- Plus, free FICO® Credit Score online and on your monthly statement to help you stay on top of your credit.*
- 0% Intro APR* on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% – 22.99%. A fee of 3% applies for each balance transferred.
- *Click “Apply” to see rates, rewards, and free FICO® Credit Score terms and other information.
Best Credit Card with Perks: Barclaycard Arrival™ World MasterCard®
- Earn 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days — that’s enough to redeem for a $200 travel statement credit
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for the first 12 months after account opening. After that, variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%, based upon your creditworthiness.
- Earn 2X miles on travel and dining and 1X miles on all other purchases
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- Book the travel you want — airfare, hotels, cruises and more and earn miles on your purchase
- Get 10% miles back to use toward your next redemption every time you redeem for travel statement credits
- No foreign transaction fees on anything you buy while in another country
- Complimentary online FICO® Score access for Barclaycard Arrival cardmembers